August West is Zach’s fourth DIY build that is very similar in style to his past Miles Van Campers. Obviously, he’s pretty happy with the base layout! This van is built on a 2021 RAM Promaster (2500, 159″ wheel base, high roof, gasoline).
All of our current vans are essentially testing labs for the products in our store so that you can be sure that anything in our catalog is road-tested and awesome. We’ve done the work so you don’t have to!
August West features a clean and modern design that is very spacious despite having all the amenities and comforts you might want in a tiny house on wheels.
We really love taking advantage of the fact that part of vanlife is driving around by incorporating systems that leverage this. For example, August West has a powerful secondary alternator power system for nearly limitless power off-grid, including the ability to stay cool – even in Florida – with the Mabru 12-volt AC. The secondary alternator paired up with advanced batteries and the Wakespeed WS500 regulator is like having a generator bolted onto your engine so that anytime you drive or idle you’re charging your battery bank at a very high current (100-200 amps). Similarly, the Isotemp water heater is plumbed into the engine coolant system so that anytime I drive, I’m also heating water.
- 2x 315 amp hour Lithionics lithium batteries (630 amp hour total capacity).
- Check out our discounted secondary alternator bundle which is the system in this van.
- Nations secondary alternator with Wakespeed WS500 charging regulator
- Additional charging while driving from the vehicle battery using 1x Victron Energy Orion DC-DC charger.
- Victron Energy MultiPlus 12/3000/120 inverter charger (2400 watt (6000 watt surge) inverter with 120 amps of charging capability)
- Victron Energy Cerbo GX with Touch 50 screen with our tank monitoring kit, a GPS sensor and a bunch of Ruuvitags for temperature and humidity sensing.
- 30 amp shore power inlet with 30amp to 15amp adapter when 30 amp service is not available.
- Furrion combination AC/DC load center.
- 120 volt AC, 12 volt DC and USB charging connections in various places throughout the living space to power everything you need.
- 2x foldable/stowable 100 watt solar panels that can be placed on the roof deck when stationary paired up with the Victron Energy 100/30 solar charge controller.
- Stainless-steel, two-burner propane stove and sink.
- Pull-out faucet with standard or spray pattern.
- Quartz countertops.
- Tons of storage and ample counter space with deep 24″ drawers.
- Vitrifrigo DP150 refrigerator (5.3 cubic feet) with separate freezer compartment (1 cubic foot).
- Espresso maker (runs perfectly off inverter).
- Stainless steel flush-mounted microwave (1 cubic feet).
- Elegant and durable brushed aluminum backsplash.
- Lagun table system with stainless steel surface swivels over the galley when not in use or can be positioned as an extra work surface for the galley or working/eating surface with the swiveled cab seats.
- Integrated paper towel dispenser, trash and recycling bins and intelligent storage.
Comfort / Safety / Convenience
- Half-slider window installed on slider door.
- Mabru 12-volt, 12,000 BTU rooftop air conditioner
- Webasto Air Top 2000 STC gasoline-powered heater that runs off van’s fuel tank.
- 10-speed Maxxfan vent fan can pull air into the living space or exhaust air out and features an rain hood so you can operate the fan in any weather, remote control and adjustable thermostatic control.
- Combination propane gas and carbon monoxide detector.
- Fixed full size memory foam bed in loft area
- Isotemp Spa 20L marine-style, 5.3 gallon water heater that heats water while you drive with the engine’s coolant. It’s very well insulated and keeps the water at temperature for a long time. When you’re not driving, it has a 750 watt electric heating element that runs off the inverter and is controlled by a switch in the galley. The water is heated to up to 190 degrees in the tank and then mixed with cold water to a specified temperature when leaving the tank. This extends the 5.3 gallon capacity significantly and speeds up recovery time.
- Thetford Curve “cassette-style” toilet in wet bath provides odor free convenience without the need for a black water tank. Cassette empties easily into a standard toilet, campsite sewer connection, etc.
- Comfortable, clean shower with flexible shower head with integrated soap and shampoo dispensers, waterproof toilet paper holder and mirror.
- Extensive LED lighting with dimmers.
- Extensive noise dampening (Noico) and insulation (3M Thinsulate) for quiet ride and to keep the van cool or warm in any climate.
- Insulated privacy shades for windshield and driver/passenger cab windows deploy and store easily with suction cups and provide comfort and privacy.
- 36 gallon fresh water tank.
- 26 gallon grey water tank (custom molded for the Promaster).
- Lockable fresh water fill.
- Fresh water tank and all plumbing installed inside the vehicle to protect from damage and freezing for all-season camping.
- Curt class 3 hitch with 2″ receiver (6000 lb tow capacity, 600 lb tongue weight) and standard 4-pin and 6-pin trailer connections.
- Swing-away bike rack that allows us to bring along two bikes but swing away the rack to access the back doors.
- 2x internet connections: Visible by Verizon cellular data (see blog post) and Starlink. The Starlink dish has a folding mount on the roof and the standard “tripod mount” for the dish. I have installed a waterproof connection on the rear bumper for the cable so I can either set up the dish on the roof or move it out to a better location for access to the sky with the tripod mount.
- Innovative “Garage” storage area features a long (55″ deep) storage bin on the driver side on top of the water tank, a set of 3x, 24 wide by 24″ deep drawers in the middle and a full-height, 55″ deep storage bin on the passenger side along with the power system over the passenger wheel well.
- Roof deck with driver side ladder.