This page details my first build, Miles Van Camper v1. I sold this van in June 2018 to an awesome couple in California. You can follow their adventures on their Instagram. I wrapped up my second build (and current van), Miles Van Camper v2 in January of 2019 which is detailed on this page. Then, I built a third van in the summer of 2019, Miles Van Camper v3.
Miles Van Camper is an elegant van camper built on a 2017 RAM Promaster (2500, 159″ wheel base, high roof, gasoline).
Miles has everything you would want in an adventure van and includes many things that the majority of van builds do not including a full wet bath/shower, air conditioner, high capacity fresh and grey water tanks, on-demand hot water heater, a spacious refrigerator and freezer and more. Only high-quality materials were used.
I developed the unique floor plan after years of research and experience with other many other van campers. The layout effectively creates two separate “living spaces” in a small van footprint. In addition to the primary living space and galley located directly behind the cab, there is a bed/loft area in the rear that features a standard full-size memory foam bed, two windows and a powerful Maxxfan vent fan directly overhead. Since the bed is “fixed” you don’t have to make the it every day or store the bedding during the days. It’s very nice to be able jump into a comfortable bed whenever you want while someone else occupies the front living space or galley.
Please scroll down for all the details about the van and a photo gallery.
- 3x 100 amp hour sealed AGM batteries for a total of 300 amp hours of capacity.
- 2x 100 watt Renogy solar panels on the roof with a 30 amp PWM solar controller.
- 1800 watt Xantrex inverter that automatically switches 110 volt AC loads from inverter to shore power when available with remote control panel.
- 30 amp shore power inlet with 30amp to 15amp adapter when 30 amp service is not available.
- Progressive Dynamics load center with 5x 110 volt AC circuit breakers and 12x, 12 volt DC fused circuits.
- Separated load center/circuit breaker for air conditioner and refrigerator so those loads are not operated by the inverter.
- Three distinct charging methods to keep the batteries charged up: from vehicle alternator when driving (via a Blue Sea ML-ACR), from the inverter/charger when connected to shore power and from the solar panels during daylight hours.
- Victron battery monitor shows state of charge, voltage, charge/discharge rate in amps and watts and estimated battery life in hours.
- 110 volt AC, 12 volt DC and USB charging connections in various places throughout the living space to power everything you need.
- Download a detailed wiring diagram.
- Stainless-steel, two-burner propane stove and sink.
- Tons of storage and ample counter space with deep 24″ drawers.
- 7 cubic feet, Norcold refrigerator with separate freezer compartment.
- Gaggia Classic espresso maker (runs perfectly off inverter).
- Elegant and durable brushed aluminum backsplash.
- Swiss-made Lagun table system with stainless steel surface swivels over the galley when not in use or can be positioned as an extra work surface for the galley or working/eating surface with the swiveled cab seats.
- Integrated paper towel dispenser, trash and recycling bins and intelligent storage.
Comfort / Safety / Convenience
- Coleman Mach 8 Cub 9200 BTU rooftop air conditioner. This is the lowest profile unit on the market, and only consumes approximately 11.5 amps making it easy to operate off a standard 15 amp outlet/service (no need for 30 amp service).
- Battery-efficient, Propex HS2800, 9700 BTU propane-powered, externally vented furnace.
- 10-speed Maxxfan vent fan can pull air into the living space or exhaust air out and features an rain hood so you can operate the fan in any weather, remote control and adjustable thermostatic control.
- Combination propane gas and carbon monoxide detector.
- Fixed full size memory foam bed in loft area
- Unusually large 7 cubic feet Norcold refrigerator with separate freezer compartment finished with brushed aluminum panels.
- Surburban on-demand water heater for unlimited hot water without a tank.
- Thetford “cassette-style” toilet in wet bath provides odor free convenience without the need for a black water tank. Cassette empties easily into a standard toilet, campsite sewer connection, etc.
- Comfortable, clean shower with flexible shower head with integrated soap and shampoo dispensers and mirror.
- Extensive LED lighting with dimmers.
- Stereo system with bluetooth connectivity, USB media support and remote control.
- Extensive noise dampening (Noico) and insulation (3M Thinsulate) for quiet ride and to keep the van cool or warm in any climate.
- Easy-to-use and clean roller shades provide privacy and light control while virtually disappearing when not in use.
- Insulated privacy shades for windshield and driver/passenger cab windows deploy and store easily with suction cups and provide comfort and privacy.
- 30 gallon fresh water tank with gravity drain underneath driver’s side bumper.
- 30 grey holding tank with standard 3″ connection – mounted underneath passenger side sliding door.
- Lockable fresh water fill and city water inlet on drivers side.
- Fresh water tank and all plumbing installed inside the vehicle to protect from damage and freezing.
- 5.9 gallon propane tank mounted underneath vehicle on the driver’s side.
- SeeLevel 2 tank monitor provides easy-to-read tank capacity information for fresh water, grey water and propane tank. Monitor also allows turning on/off the water pump.
- Curt class 3 hitch with 2″ receiver (6000 lb tow capacity, 600 lb tongue weight) and standard t-connector for trailer.