3M Thinsulate provides both thermal and acoustic insulation in one easy-to-install product! Thermal insulation keeps your van warm or cold and the acoustic insulation keeps the van quiet from road noise and ambient noise. In addition, Thinsulate helps to “dampen” the vibration of the sheet metal of your van similar to using sheets of butyl sound deadener like Noico. This allows you to either omit that type of butyl sound deadening entirely or use much less and save on time, money and weight. We highly recommend this type of insulation for your van conversion and use it in all our vans.
Unlike many other insulation products, Thinsulate is manufactured specifically for the purpose of insulating vehicles and therefore has the following advantages:
- Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold and mildew
- Flame resistant and meets FMVSS 302 certified motor vehicle safety standards
- Lightweight, easy to cut and install
- Does not off gas and has no noticeable odor
- Can be removed easily if necessary for modifications or repairs
How Much You’ll Need
These recommendations are in ranges from minimum to maximum. If you have or will be installing many windows you can order the lower quantity. If not you should probably order the larger quantity. Based on insulating the entirety of the walls, ceiling and structural cavities but not the floor.
- 136″ wheel base Promaster: 40-45 linear feet
- 159″ wheel base Promaster: 50-55 linear feet
- 159″ extended wheel base Promaster: 60-65 linear feet
- 144″ wheel base Sprinter: 50-55 linear feet
- 170″ wheel base Sprinter: 60-65 linear feet
- 170″ extended wheel base Sprinter: 70-75 linear feet
- 148″ wheel base Transit: 50-55 linear feet
- Thinsulate can easily be cut to shape with sharp fabric-type scissors. It’s not essential that your cut out shapes match the panel size exactly. You can cut them larger and tuck around the elements.
- We recommend gluing the Thinsulate to your wall and ceiling panels with 3M 90 spray adhesive. Be sure to spray both the Thinsulate and the wall/ceiling panel for best adhesion.
- You can glue either the black side (with the scrim) or the white side. There is no difference in insulating quality. Many people prefer to glue the black/scrim side so that the white faces out.
- Use a fish tape or wire to pull unglued Thinsulate into cavities and structural elements.
- Many people report that their entire van can be insulated in a single day with Thinsulate.
Note: orders larger than 40 linear feet may ship in two separate rolls to keep the size of each package small enough for us to ship your orders via UPS for the quickest delivery.