This wiring kit (and also the installation hardware kit) are required by Dometic to be used to install either the RTX 1000 or RTX 2000 12-volt rooftop air conditioners to have a valid warranty. You can purchase this kit separately if needed or it’s bundled with the RTX 1000 or RTX 2000 air conditioners.
This wiring kit comes with the following components. Since a photo is worth a thousand words, we have an illustration of the wiring harness components.
- 26′ (8 meter) wiring harness with two sets of wires:
- 12-volt DC supply for operating the AC: this is a set of red/black, 4 AWG wires. On one end, there is an Anderson-style connector that matches the connection on a short pigtail coming from the AC unit. The other end is bare wire that you’ll use other supplied components to terminate with ring terminals and wire the red (positive) wire through an 80-amp fuse.
- Voltage sensing wires: this is a set of much smaller gauge (thinner) red/black wires with a small white connection that pairs with a short pigtail coming from the AC unit. The other end is bare wire that you’ll use supplied components to terminate with ring terminals and wire the red (positive) wire through a small, ATC fuse. This set of wires does not power the unit, instead, it monitors the voltage of the battery, at the battery (or system bus bar) to that the unit can shut itself off at a set voltage to protect the battery from overly discharging. The low voltage shutdown setting can be adjusted in 0.1 volt increments from 10 volts to 12.5 volts.
- A bag of electrical terminals/fuses to be used as described above on the “supply side” of the harness to terminate to the 12-volt DC battery/bus bar.
- 4x, 4 AWG (yellow) ring terminals.
- 2x, 22-18 AWG (red) ring terminals.
- 1x, 22-18 AWG (red) butt splice.
- 1x, 80 amp fuse with fuse holder.
- 1x, inline ATC fuse holder, and 2 amp fuse.
- Rubber gasket (taller) for sealing the AC baseplate to the roof of the installation. Note that the required installation hardware kit includes a shorter version. Most installers prefer the shorter version but the taller version is helpful in certain installation conditions.
- $20 flat-rate shipping to the continental USA.