In this short video we go over the components of a camper van electrical system that we installed into a customer’s van. She brought us the cabinet and we filled it up with a bunch of blue boxes from Victron Energy to create a powerful, off-grid capable power system for her van that charges with three sources: solar, from the vehicle alternator when driving and when connected to shore power.
This system uses Victron Energy Smart Lithium batteries with an external BMS (Lynx Smart BMS). We have another blog post that is a deep dive on an example system like this including a free PDF wiring diagram and we have highly discounted product bundle in our store if you want to install a system like this into your van!
FREE Camper Van Power System Resources & Wiring Diagrams
If you're confused about your DIY camper van electrical or solar system, you've come to the right place. We have tons of resources including blog posts and videos, example wiring diagrams (see below), and even offer service and installation from our workshop in Sarasota, Florida. If you're really stuck, we also offer consulting and design services. Our "choosing a system" page offers some additional advice and includes an example load calculation that you can use.
Below are some of our example power systems for camper vans/RVs. The Victron-based systems all have a corresponding blog post, free detailed PDF example wiring diagram, and a corresponding discounted product bundle. Ultimately, you'll probably customize your system to your particular needs and perhaps combine ideas from one or more of the example systems.
- A baseline camper van electrical system that uses lithium batteries with internal battery management systems (BMS) such as a Victron SuperPack, Battleborn, SOK, etc. This is our most affordable and simple system as well as the most DIY friendly.
- A more advanced camper van electrical system that uses Victron Smart lithium batteries with an external BMS and a Cerbo GX for monitoring. This system is a bit more complex and more costly, but adds features and allows for more battery storage in the same physical footprint. If you use the Victron Lynx Smart BMS you can upgrade to a dedicated secondary alternator with a Wakespeed regulator in the future.
- A super powerful (fast-charging) system that uses a dedicated secondary alternator. This system is the most expensive but also the most off-grid capable.
- If you are looking for something that is much easier to install and configure, we also sell drop-in power systems from EcoFlow and have this Google Sheet that compares a Victron system to an EcoFlow power kit.
- We also have a power system accessories bundle that has all the circuit protection, shore power, distribution, and wiring you'll likely need.
Please consider purchasing your power system equipment from our store. Our bundles offer great pricing (yeah, better than Amazon), free shipping and you'll have access to expert support and you'll be supporting our ability to create more content!
Finally, there are a few things that we don't sell in our store (yet!) that you might need so we keep a list of these products in this Google Sheet of recommended camper van products.