Lithionics batteries are known throughout the vanlife community as being the “Rolls Royce” of batteries. At Vanlife Outfitters we couldn’t agree more with that sentiment, which is why we wanted to showcase all the reasons why they’ve earned that reputation in a video. In this video, Zach and Josh meet up with Ruben Macias, the Product Manager at Lithionics for a behind the scenes factory tour of and an overview of what makes Lithionics batteries the “lithium standard” of batteries.
If you’re a camper van or off-grid electrical engineering nerd like us, then you won’t want to miss this video. But even if you aren’t someone who geeks out about electrons, this video is a great crash course on the differences in the major battery brands on the market.
While you’re here, you might be interested in how we use Lithionics batteries in a super-duper-off-grid capable electrical system.
FREE Camper Van Power System Resources & Wiring Diagrams
If you're confused about your DIY camper van electrical or solar system, you've come to the right place. We have tons of resources including blog posts and videos, example wiring diagrams (see below), and even offer service and installation from our workshop in Sarasota, Florida. If you're really stuck, we also offer consulting and design services.
Below are some of our example power systems for camper vans/RVs. Each of them has a blog post, a detailed PDF wiring diagram, and a corresponding discounted product bundle. Ultimately, you'll probably customize your system to your particular needs and perhaps combine ideas from one or more of the example systems.
- A baseline camper van electrical system that uses lithium batteries with internal battery management systems (BMS) such as a Victron SuperPack, Battleborn, SOK, etc. This is our most affordable and simple system as well as the most DIY friendly.
- A more advanced camper van electrical system that uses Victron Smart lithium batteries with an external BMS and a Cerbo GX for monitoring. This system is a bit more complex and more costly, but adds features and allows for more battery storage in the same physical footprint. If you use the Victron Lynx Smart BMS you can upgrade to a dedicated secondary alternator with a Wakespeed regulator in the future.
- A super powerful (fast-charging) system that uses a dedicated secondary alternator. This system is the most expensive but also the most off-grid capable.
- If you want a system that's already wired up and configured, ready to drop into place, check out the Voyager!
- We also have a power system accessories bundle that has all the circuit protection, shore power, distribution and wiring you'll likely need.
Please consider purchasing your power system equipment from our store. Our bundles offer great pricing (yeah, better than Amazon), free shipping and you'll have access to expert support and you'll be supporting our ability to create more content!
There are a few things that we don't sell in our store (yet!) that you might need so we keep a list of these products in this Google Sheet of recommended camper van products.